October 15, 2009

Qualities of a Best Friend - The Basics for Marriage?

I mentioned in my previous post that my husband Pete is my best friend. That got me thinking about how others would answer. If you were asked the question, "Who is your best friend?" What would you say? What would your answer be?

I have a feeling that not many people would say that it was their spouse or significant other. But why wouldn't you? Why didn't you? Wouldn't the person that you chose to spend the rest of your life with be your best friend?

What is it about your best friend that is different? What qualities do they have that has brought them to that special place in you life? They now hold that special title of "Best Friend", that you so graciously have given to them.

Maybe you don't have a best friend - but if you did, what would you want them to be like? Think about this for a moment, ponder it for a while.

If I was making a list of some requirements I wanted in a best friend it would look something like this:
  • Someone I can trust
  • Someone who is honest
  • Someone I can speak to freely
  • Have similar interests
  • Makes me laugh
  • Encourages me
 These are just a few qualities I wanted in my best friend. What are your requirements? What do you want in your best friend? What ever they are I'm thinking that these should also be your basic requirements in all your relationships - especially in a long term relationship. After all, if your planning on spending the rest of your life with someone you should be happy in every area of that relationship.

I'll ask you again:
"Who is your Best Friend?"

No comments: